Curriculum and other household items were swapped and sold at this past meeting. Thanks to all who were able to attend. Special thanks to Tara M., Darla K. and Marcee T. who brought wonderful treats! We shared our favorite curriculum choices and why we love them. Summer park days were scheduled and May activities confirmed. Although summer is just a few short weeks away, we hope you’ll join us for some of our remaining events.
- Monday, May 8: Sand Bluff Bird Observatory Field Trip 8:45-10:30am ($3 per person ages 5 and up; RSVP to Marcee T.)
- Wednesday, May 10: Park Day 1-3pm @Leeson Park in Beloit
- Thursday, May 11: Nursing Home Visit 2-3pm (Care & Share) @Premiere Rehab
- Friday, May 12: Carnival of Animals 1-2pm @JPAC ($4 per person; RSVP to Marcee T.)
- Wednesday, May 24: Homeschool Field Day 12-3pm @Y Field in Beloit (Bring your own lunch at noon; activities begin at 1pm – RSVP requested but not required) Please note, this event has been rescheduled to June 7th due to the weather.
- Tuesday, May 30: Mom’s Night Out at Beloit Public Library, beginning at 6:30pm – Come for a private sale just for us! Browse the many, many books available. Be sure to arrive by 6:25pm to gain access.
Summer Park Days! 2nd & 4th Wednesdays 10am – 12pm
- June 14: Turtle Island Park, Beloit WI
- June 28: Preservation Park, Beloit WI
- July 12: South Beloit City Park, South Beloit IL
- July 26: Prairie Hill School playground, South Beloit IL
- August 9: Milton Splash Pad, Milton WI
- August 23: Back-to-School Picnic (12-2pm @Herb Reffue Park, Clinton WI – bring a dish to pass)
Community Events in the Area
- May 13-14: BirdFest at Sand Bluff Bird Observatory
- Monday, May 15: Lego Build 6-7pm @South Beloit Library
- Friday, May 19: Curriculum Sale 1-4pm @Janesville Wesleyan Church (cash only; for those interested in selling, contact Patty B.)
- May 20-21: Janesville Renaissance Fair @Traxler Park, Janesville WI
- June 12-16: VBS @OLA, Beloit WI
- June 19-23: VBS @Hope Evangelical Church, Roscoe IL
- July 17-21: VBS @Beloit New Life Church, Beloit WI
- August 19: Dirty Dash @Big Hill Park, Beloit WI
- August 26: Bat Festival @E Mitchell Park Conservancy, Milwaukee WI
This month’s planning meeting featured the 3 Cs: Conventions, Curriculum and Co-ops! The upcoming conventions are listed below and the co-ops can be found under the bulletin tab. Be sure to check out this month’s featured devotion on Not So Quiet Time for Mom from confessionsofahomeschooler.com. A HUGE thank you to Tara M. for her delicious bread and recipe!
- ICHE Annual State Convention – Naperville – June 1 – 3, 2017
- Chicago Catholic Homeschooling Conference – Woodridge – July 6 – 7, 2017
- Wisconsin Catholic Homeschool Conference – Milwaukee – April 6, 2017
- WPA Conference – Stevens Point – May 4 & 5, 2018
- Inspire Your Homeschool Conference – Brookfield – April 7, 2017
Great Homeschool Conventions (Midwest) – Cincinnati OH – April 20-22, 2017
Teach Them Diligently Homeschool Convention – Sandusky OH – April 20-22, 2017
Our annual Curriculum Sale/Swap is scheduled for May 2 prior to the monthly planning meeting. It will be held at Marcee T’s church – Beloit New Life Church, 1146 Grant St, Beloit WI. Doors will open at 6:45pm for set up.
If you have items to swap/sell, please let us know here so we will have a table ready for you. (We use the term “curriculum” very loosely, meaning you may bring anything you are looking to swap/sell. In the past various household items, clothing and toys have been offered along with books and school supplies.)
Feel free to bring a snack to share, and if you have coats to donate to the church’s coat drive that would be appreciated too!
Field Trip Planning
Friday, May 12: The Carnival of Animals 1pm @Janesville Performing Arts Center, 408 S Main St, Janesville WI. Tickets are $4 for students/chaperones are free. RSVP required to Marcee T.
Wednesday, May 24: Homeschool Field Day 12-3pm @YMCA Youth Sports Field Complex, 3301 Prairie Ave, Beloit WI. Say Good-bye to schoolwork and Hello to Summer! RSVP number of participants to Amanda H.
Calendar (a 4th C!)
Wednesday, April 12: Gym Day 1-3pm @Central Christian Church, Beloit WI
Thursday, April 13: Nursing Home Visit 2-3pm @Premiere Rehab, Beloit WI
Wednesday, April 26: Gym Day 1-3pm @Central Christian Church, Beloit WI
Thursday, April 27: Sand Bluff Bird Observatory Field Trip; arrive by 8:45am; $3 per person ages 5+; RSVP to Marcee T. (This field trip is rescheduled for Monday, May 8!)
Tuesday, May 2: Last Planning Meeting for the School Year & Curriculum Swap/Sale 7-8:30pm @Beloit New Life Church, Beloit WI
Other Events in the Community
Saturday, April 8: Beloit Library Book Sale, Beloit WI
Saturday, April 8: Eggstravaganza @Heartland Community Church, Rockford IL
Monday, April 17: Lego Build 6-7pm @South Beloit Library, South Beloit IL
Saturday, April 22: Going Bats for Earth Day 1:30-2:30pm @Welty Environmental Center, Beloit WI (RSVP required)
April 29-30: Macktown Living History Education Days
Happy March! Thank you to all who attended to monthly meeting. What a precious time we shared connecting and encouraging one another as we navigate our way through homeschooling. Be sure to check out the devotion that was shared as well as the upcoming events listed below. As always, if you have any questions or would like to add events/classes, use the contact page to notify us! We’d love to hear from you.
Wed, Mar 8: Gym Day – Nerf Wars! @Central Christian Church – 1pm-3pm (bring 1 non-perishable food item per person)
Thu, Mar 9: Nursing Home Visit @Premiere Rehab – 2pm-3pm
Sun, Mar 12: DST Begins!
Mon, Mar 20: First Day of Spring!
Tue, Mar 21: Moms’ Night Out @Doc’s in Beloit, beginning at 7pm
Wed, Mar 22: Gym Day @Central Christian Church – 1pm-3pm (bring 1 non-perishable food item per person)
Wed, Mar 29: Rock County Humane Society @1:30pm & 2:30pm – RSVP to Marcee T. if you haven’t done so already (Please bring a donation of one of the following: 1. old bed sheets and towels – this item is most needed; 2. pate style cat food; 3. peanut butter; 4. dog treats)
Tue, Apr 4: Monthly Planning Meeting @Central Christian Church – 7pm-8:30pm
Other Events/Classes in the Area:
Mar 11-12: Delavan Train Show @Delavan American Legion Hall
Mon, Mar 20: Lego Build @South Beloit Public Library 6PM-7PM
Thu, Mar 23: Science @Clinton Public Library 1PM-2PM
Mar 24 & 25: Clinton Public Library Book Sale (Silent Auction ends Apr 4)
Sat, Mar 25: Maple Sugar Festival @Welty 9AM-1PM
Mar 25-26: Rock & Gem Show @Rock County Fairgrounds
Tue, Mar 28: Art @Clinton Public Library 1PM-2PM
Mar 31-Apr 1:Rockford Dance Company’s performance of Snow White
In the Works…
SACH will begin a crafter’s guild for homeschool families to post items available for sale. This new group, called SACHet, will feature hand-crafted items or services from our very own SACH families. Stay tuned for a link to the Facebook page.
SACH will host its first FIELD DAY! Save the date: May 24, 1-3pm. Volunteers needed! Please let us know if you can help out with this fun-filled afternoon.
Thank you to all of the moms who make our SACH meeting a priority each month! We really count on you to make our group a success. Thank you to Marcee for the special Valentine treat and to Jacinda for a timely devotional!
Here’s the schedule for the next couple of months. Included are SACH activities, as well as events in the Stateline area:
Wed, Feb 8: Gym Day @Central Christian Church – 1pm-3pm (bring 1 pantry item per person – mac ‘n’ cheese is needed)
Thu, Feb 9: Nursing Home Visit @Premiere Rehab – 2pm-3pm (craft time)
Fri, Feb 10: Candlelight Hike @Nygren Wetlands – 4:30-8pm
Sat, Feb 11: Book Sale @Beloit Library – 10am-2pm
Sat, Feb 11: Lego Event @Toys ‘r’ Us – 1-3pm
Feb 11 & 12: Wonders of Physics @UW Madison (sprott.physics.wisc.edu)
Feb 18 & 19: Wonders of Physics @UW Madison (sprott.physics.wisc.edu)
Wed, Feb 22: Gym Day – Celebrate Friends You Love! @Central Christian Church – 1pm-3pm (bring 1 pantry item per person and optional Valentines to share!)
Thu, Feb 23: SCRATCH @Clinton Library – 1pm (What is SCRATCH? Visit scratch.mit.edu to find out!)
Thu, Feb 23: Hoo Haven @Beloit Library – 6pm
Tue, Feb 28: Post Office @1pm – RSVP to Jen R.
Month of February: Burpee Museum of Rockford – Donation Days every Wed/Thu
Month of February: Chicago Field Museum – FREE every day for IL Residents
Sat, Mar 4: Milwaukee Zoo FREE Day
Tue, Mar 7: SACH monthly meeting @Central Christian Church – 7pm-8:30pm
Wed, Mar 8: Gym Day – Nerf Wars! @Central Christian Church – 1pm-3pm (bring 1pantry item per person and your Nerf gear! Remember to label your ammo!)
Wed, Mar 9: Nursing Home Visit @Premier Rehab – 2pm-3pm (care and share)
Wed, Mar 22: Gym Day @Central Christian Church – 1pm-3pm (bring 1 pantry item per person)
Mar 24 & 25: Clinton Library Book Sale
Mar 25 & 26: Rock and Gem Show @Rock County Fairgrounds
Wed, Mar 29: Rock County Humane Society @1pm – RSVP to Marcee T.
If you know of any other activities/events/classes that you’d like to share, please contact us to post on the community board. We’d love to hear from you!
Happy New Year, Friends! Our first meeting of 2017 was chock full of encouragement and wisdom from our very own Darla K. and Heather S. who graciously shared excerpts from the Field Before Us Conference they attended this past fall. You can read the details here or search under the devotions page.
For questions about the activities listed below, please contact us here, unless otherwise indicated.
- January 11: Gym Day at Central Christian Church from 1pm-3pm; bring 1 pantry item per person as admission for 2 hours of FUN!
- January 12: Nursing Home Visit at Premier Rehab from 2pm-3pm; talent sharing – instrument, singing, recitation, book report, show and tell… all are welcome!
- January 12: Hoo Haven at Welty Environmental Center from 6pm-7:30pm; free to the public. Visit their Facebook page for more details: Welty Environmental Center.
- January 13: Cascade Mountain Skiing Field Trip, organized by Sharon V. Contact her for details here.
- January 17: Moms’ Night In hosted by Chanel D. beginning at 7pm; email her for directions here. Feel free to bring a treat and a friend!
- January 25: Gym Day at Central Christian Church from 1pm-3pm; bring 1 pantry item per person as admission. What a great way for kiddos to burn off that cabin fever!
- January 27-29: Beloit Winterfest! See flyer for details!
- February 7: Monthly Planning Meeting at Central Christian Church (Rm 221) from 7pm-8:30pm; bring your field trip ideas! MAGIC WATERS LOG SHEETS ARE DUE!!! (See below to print log sheets and information form.)
Reminders/Upcoming Community Events:
- Remember to keep reading! Your students’ Magic Waters log sheets are due at the beginning of February. The final turn in day is the next planning meeting on February 7th. The log sheets and information form can be printed here.
- The Wonder of Physics at the University of Wisconsin in Madison is holding its annual event February 11, 12, 18 & 19. See their website here for details and reservations.
- Rockford Symphony Orchestra is featuring Link Up: “The Orchestra Moves!” A program of Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute, Link Up pairs orchestras with students in grades 3-5 at schools in their local communities to explore orchestral repertoire through a hands-on music curriculum. Students participating in Link Up attend a culminating concert (May 12th at the Coronado), in which they sing and play recorder with the orchestra from their seats. Please click here for more information.
- Beloit Library Director is still seeking ways to help the homeschool community. We need your feedback! Please respond here with your requests/suggestions.
Our November SACH meeting covered 2 months worth of activities since we do not have a planning meeting in December. We were treated to a yummy popcorn dessert laced with cranberries and white chocolate! Thanks, Chanel! As an added bonus we sampled the treat that will be our featured craft at the Christmas Party this year! Thanks, Marcee!
Be sure to check out the monthly devotion Living with Less so Your Family has More.
For questions about the activities listed below, please contact us here.
- November 6: DST Ends! Set your clocks back an hour and get some extra Zs or get up and gain an extra hour of ME time!
- November 7: FREE Fun! Crazy 8’s Math Club begins at Clinton Library at 3:30pm (also Nov 14, 28, Dec 5, 12 & 19). Call the library at (608) 676-5569 for details. RSVP not required, but appreciated!
- November 8: Vote! Exercise your right to vote today if you haven’t done so already.
- November 9: Park Day! With the weather taking a turn for the better, we’ll continue our park day this month from 1pm – 3pm at Leeson Park.
- November 10: Premier Rehab visit from 2pm-3pm. Talent show days at the Nursing Home are especially fun for the residents. The talent ranges from instrument playing and informational presentations to singing songs, sharing show & tell and recitations. The performers ages range as widely too!
- November 18: Magic Waters Reading Program begins! SACH is signed up to participate in the Magic Waters reading program again this year. Here are the information and tracking forms. Please complete 1 form for each participant. Forms will be collected by email, in person or mail throughout the program. NO FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE FEBRUARY 7TH PLANNING MEETING. For more information, contact Jacinda H. here.
- December 6: Moms’ Christmas Party! Ah, the memories that are made at this annual event! Please bring a dish to pass and a White Elephant gift to exchange. The fun begins at 7pm. Contact Heather S. here for details.
- December 8: Premier Rehab visit from 2pm-3pm. Bring your kiddos to celebrate the joy of the Christmas season with the residents by making a special holiday craft with them.
- December 14: Kids’ Christmas Party! There’s lots of fun in store for your families this year. From 1pm – 3pm at Central Christian Church. We will feature 3 stations, rotating approximately every 20-25 minutes (similar to last year): craft area: making a gift to give (bring a quart-size jar and lid with $1 inside to cover cost of supplies); activity area: coloring pages, puzzles, snowflake making, etc. while listening to skit performances; gift exchange: please bring a gently used toy, book, etc. from your home gift wrapped with a note indicating ages 0-5, 6-9, 10+ and girl/boy/either. Please also bring a snack to share. If your last name begins with A-M bring a non-sweet snack. If your last name begins with N-Z bring a sweet snack.
- January 3: First SACH planning meeting of 2017! Bring your ideas to share 7pm – 8:30pm.
Reminders/Upcoming Community Events:
- Beloit Library Director is seeking ways to help the homeschool community. We need your feedback! Please respond here with your requests/suggestions.
- Rockford Dance Co – Nutcracker
- Milwaukee Ballet
- If you have ideas for upcoming field trips, just let us know!
Happy Fall! This month’s planning meeting took place on Tuesday, October 4th. Thank you to all of the moms who came early to participate in the Trunk or Treasure. I think several moms went home with more than they brought!
And the fun didn’t stop there! During the meeting we feasted on a delicious Caramel Apple Cake, compliments of Heather S. Recipe link: Caramel Apple Cake. Thank you, Heather, for such a yummy fall treat!
Aside from all of the festivities, we did accomplish a lot during the meeting. Here are upcoming happenings (please use contact page to request details for events):
- October 8-9: A Gathering of Rogues and Ruffians Renaissance Faire in New Glarus.
- October 12: Skelly’s Farm Market – RSVP by sending notification through the contact tab by October 7. Cost is $6 per person.
- October 13: Nursing Home visit – craft time
- October 15: Remember to register with DPI for Wisconsin homeschoolers by October 15 here.
- October 18: Moms’ Night In
- October 19: Fire Department tour – RSVP by sending notification through the contact page by October 16.
- October 20: Anderson Japanese Gardens hosts a Donation Day on the third Thursday of the month.
- October 21: Family Discovery Night at Beloit College.
- October 26: Park Day
- November 1: SACH Planning Meeting
- November 3: First Thursday of the Month at Milwaukee Public Museum
- November 9: Gym Day
Field Trips, events and programs in the works:
- Magic Waters Reading Program
- December 6 – Moms’ Christmas Party
- December 14 – Kids’ Christmas Party (details being planned – we need volunteers to help with stations!)
- Post Office
- Cougar Lanes
- Valentine’s Family Formal
Also, the Beloit Library Director is extremely interested in how the library can best serve the homeschool community. Please share your suggestions and book list requests using the contact page. Some ideas already mentioned are: teacher cards, stateline access including our southern state neighbors from IL and specific book purchase requests.
See our kiddos in community events:
- Spotlight On Kids presents Halloween Walk 2016 (Sydney H. performing) at the Rock County Fairgrounds October 27th & 28th from 6:30pm-8:15pm and 29th from 12:30pm-1:45pm. $5 per person or $15 per family.
- Steps to Grace presents the Nutcracker Suite, Act II (Angela A. performing). Sunday, November 27 at 3:00pm – Belvidere Performing Arts Center. Performance to benefit the Belvidere Boone County Food Pantry. Adults $8, children $6. Purchase tickets at tututix.com.
Our first planning meeting, held on Tuesday, September 6th, launched us into the new 2016-2017 school year! Thank you to those precious moms who invest their valuable time into this important meeting. This group is made great by the moms who plan together!
Many great plans are in the works, including: field trips, moms’ events and park/gym days. Listed below, as well as in the Calendar tab, are the ongoing monthly events:
- 1st Tuesday of the month (7pm-8:30pm): Moms’ Planning Meeting (except December – this is the Moms’ Holiday Party)
- 2nd & 4th Wednesday of the month (1pm-3pm): Park/Gym Day (except December – 2nd Wednesday is Kids’ Holiday Party; nothing on 4th Wednesday)
- 2nd Thursday of the month (2pm-3pm): Premier Rehab Visit (beginning in October)
- 3rd Tuesday of the month (7pm-?pm): Moms’ Night Out/In (except December)
Below are some upcoming activities in the Stateline area that are not official SACH field trips but you’ll probably see many of us there!
- September 9-11: Festival on the Rock
- September 11: Beckman Mill Heritage Day
- September 16-18: Cheese Days
- October 8-9: A Gathering of Rogues and Ruffians
- October 21: Family Discovery Night
- First Thursday of the Month: Milwaukee Public Museum
Oftentimes, field trips have a maximum capacity, so you’ll want to be sure to attend the monthly meetings to get priority for sign ups. Below is a list of upcoming ideas in the works:
- Skelly’s Farm Market
- Beloit Post Office
- Clinton Fire Station
- Hoo’s Woods
- Cougar Lanes
- Culver’s of Beloit
- Moms’ Christmas Party
- Kids’ Christmas Party
- Valentines Family Formal
Additional fun links and important info mentioned:
- Bookworm Gardens
- Reminder: October 15th is the deadline for WI homeschoolers to register with DPI.
- Beloit Library Director is extremely interested in how the library can best serve the homeschool community. Please come to share your suggestions and requests at the next meeting, October 4th. Some ideas already mentioned are: teacher cards, stateline access including our southern state neighbors from IL and specific book purchase requests.